Paul has been practising competition law for more than 30 years, in London, Paris and, for the last two decades, in Brussels. The primary focus of his work is merger control and complex horizontal joint ventures, but he also advises on vertical agreements, IP licensing, abuse of dominance cases and antitrust compliance.
He has represented tech and pharmaceutical businesses in Phase II matters before the EC and the CMA, and worked on a series of EC Phase I remedies cases. He works regularly with Air France-KLM on mergers and joint ventures. He has advised both actual and potential remedy takers in merger cases, drafted abuse of dominance complaints to the EC and CMA and provided support to third parties in European and national merger control matters.
Paul qualified at Slaughter and May, and was later a partner at Linklaters, Hunton Andrews and Wilson Sonsini. In the three years prior to joining Euclid, he worked as a sole practitioner.
He is a visiting lecturer on the LL.M. programme at Kings College London and gives classes on horizontal cooperation agreements at the Brussels School of Competition.
Recent experience includes advising:
- Air France-KLM on the proposed acquisition of a 19.9% stake in SAS Scandinavian Airlines before the European Commission and national competition authorities
- on two applications to the EC to have commitments in merger transactions formally waived
- on the establishment of a cooperative joint venture in air cargo between AFKL Cargo and Marseille-based logistics business CMA CGM
- an interested third party in its dealings with the EC on the Illumina/Grail merger
- Plaid on its USD 5 billion sale to Visa before the UK CMA (Phase I unconditional approval, but abandoned because of antitrust concerns in the US)
- Outbrain on its proposed acquisition by Taboola, in Phase II proceedings at the CMA
- PacBio in Phase II proceedings at the CMA on its proposed sale to Illumina
- Air France-KLM on successive iterations of its North Atlantic joint venture, including an Article 9 commitments decision
- laser manufacturer Coherent on its Phase I with remedies acquisition of Rofin-Sinar before the EC
- one of the merging parties in EC merger investigations in Dell/EMC/VMware, Broadcom/Brocade, and Intel/Altera
Includes matters handled prior to joining Euclid Law in January 2024
LL.B. University of Glasgow
M. Litt. University of Oxford
England & Wales
Belgium (avocat, registered on the Brussels Bar A List)
+32 479 98 99 83