Gavin has expertise across the full breadth of EU and UK competition law, including mergers, joint ventures, cartels, agreements, information exchange, abuse of a dominant position and State aid. He also has experience of a wide range of sectors, including in particular healthcare, natural resources and financial services.
Gavin teaches competition law as part of the Masters programme at Cambridge University.
Before joining Euclid Law as a Senior Consultant, Gavin Robert was a partner in Linklaters Competition/Antitrust Department for 14 years. He retired as a partner in 2013 to become a Panel Member at the UK Competition & Markets Authority (CMA) (previously the UK Competition Commission), where he decided complex merger, market and antitrust cases for five years until March 2018.
In addition to EU and UK competition law, Gavin has considerable experience of other jurisdictions around the world, especially China and Hong Kong where he led the development of Linklaters’ competition practice for a number of years. Gavin was listed in GCR’s 40 under 40 Competition Lawyers and has been consistently ranked in Tier 1 for Competition in most leading directories, including Chambers and Legal 500.
Gavin is also the Chair of the Trust Board of REAch2, the largest primary multi-academy trust in the UK, and a Non-Executive Director of Papworth NHS Foundation Trust, the world-leading heart & lung hospital in Cambridge.
Recent experience includes advising:
- London Stock Exchange Group on the CMA’s unconditional Phase 2 clearance for its acquisition of Quantile Group
- London Stock Exchange Group on obtaining EU Phase 2 merger clearance with remedies for its merger with Refinitiv
- PKN Orlen, leading Polish oil company, on obtaining EU Phase 2 merger clearance with remedies for its merger with rival Grupa Lotos
- Mastercard on settlement of the Payment System Regulator’s Chapter 1 investigation into prepaid cards in the UK
- bp on the CMA’s market study into Electric Vehicle Charging
- UK pharmaceutical company in relation to a CMA investigation into excessive pricing
- a national government in relation to the EC’s abuse of dominance investigation in relation to Gazprom’s conduct in Central and Eastern Europe
- Teva on achieving a No Grounds For Action letter in the CMA’s pay for delay paroxetine investigation
- Johnson & Johnson on obtaining EU Phase 2 merger clearance with remedies for its acquisition of Synthes
- Actavis on obtaining EU Phase 1 merger clearance for its merger with Watson
- ABI on state aid issues in relation to the Flood Re insurance scheme
- a global pharmaceutical company on EU competition law issues in relation to complex collaboration, development and licensing agreements
- BT in relation to the European Commission investigation into the BT Pension Guarantee, and BT property tax, including subsequent appeals before the European Court
Includes matters handled at Euclid or prior to joining the firm.
Licence Spéciale, Institut d’Etudes Européennes, Université Libre de Bruxelles (1990)
LLB, University of Cambridge (1988)
England & Wales
+44 20 3816 3016